JUSTIN GARRISON(7) JUSTIN GARRISON(7)
Justin Garrison - Engineer
justin [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARG...]
justin is an advocate for user's success, system scale, and open-source. He's passionate about community, culture, and staying ahead of the curve. He wants to use his years of experience running large-scale systems to help others succeed.
* Amazon Web Services
- Sr. Developer Advocate - Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service, 2020–present
Launched EKS Anywhere, AWS App Runner, and many other services and features.
* Building apps run by hundreds of thousands of developers.
* Writing documentation read by tens of thousands of engineers a month.
* Authoring workshops used by thousands of learners.
* Contributing to dozens of open source projects.
Creating content for YouTube and Twitch channels with more than 80k subscribers.
* Disney Streaming Services
- Sr. Software Engineer - Productivity Engineering, 2018–2020
Team lead for infrastructure in Amazon Web Services.
Launched Disney+ in 5 territories from 0 to 50 million subscribers.
Made multiple streaming products resiliant and scalable including Disney+ and ESPN+. Scaled container infrastructure and observability tooling in 4 regions and more than 50k containers.
* Disney Feature Animation
- Sr. Systems Engineer - Linux and Core Services, 2014–2018
Made Oscar winning movies. Managed render farm, servers, and core infrastructure. Specalized in container infrastructure, automation, and Linux performance tuning.
Apply engineering and scientific methods:
* Building scalable systems on-prem and in the cloud
* Participating in OSS, Kubernetes, and cloud-native communities
Always learning new things:
* Developing apps to remain empathetic to customer's experience
* Using data and customer feedback to guide product direction
Teach when applicable and learn in all situations (see --student):
* Mentoring seasoned developers on system scale and design
* Helping people getting into a tech career
* Specializing in visual aids to explain technical concepts
External content and additional reading available at:
|* Personal blog||
|* O'Reilly book||
* Formal education
- MS, Information Technology from Azusa Pacific University, 2010–2015
- BA, Math/Physics from Azusa Pacific University, 2001–2005
- Certified Kubernetes Administrator
- Certified Kubernetes Application Developer
- 11 more at j.mp/justin-ln
E-mail: [email protected] || Phone: REDACTED || Twitter: @rothgar