Use Your PC to Keep Yourself Entertained While Traveling for the Holidays
Posted on December 22, 2010 • 3 minutes • 523 words
Staying connected may be hard no matter what network you are on, and in flight Wi-Fi isn’t pervasive enough to count on. Here are tips and tricks to keep yourself entertained when unplugged and traveling.
Image Via MarinaAvila
Audio and Video
Little keeps us entertained like the music and movies we love. There are plenty of ways to keep occupied online with YouTube, Hulu, and Netflix but what happens when your cord is cut? Obviously DVDs are not practical when traveling so here are a few easy ways to get your movies and TV shows on your computer, phone, iPod, or portable gaming system with ease.
- How to Rip a DVD to your Hard Drive and Play it on your PC
- Rip a TV Series DVD and Convert to Individual H.264 MP4 files
- Simplify DVD to MP4 Conversion with VidCoder
- Simple Drag and Drop Video Conversion for Android, iPhone, and PSP with Miro
Lets not forget you can also download YouTube videos for offline viewing or set up Miro to download some of the fantastic Revision3 shows before you leave.
Reading and Writing
If music and movies aren’t your cup of tea, we also have a plethora of how-tos to get your favorite book or article onto your eReader of choice.
- Read Mobi eBooks on Kindle for PC
- Read Kindle Books On Your Computer with Kindle for PC
- Save Web Articles to Read Later with Instapaper
- Create an eBook or PDF from Wikipedia Articles for Offline Reading
- Convert Word Documents to ePub Format for Your eReader or iBooks
If you are a gamer then you probably already have some great games stored on your laptop or mobile device to keep you entertained on a trip to Mars. But what if you are a casual gamer and don’t have an expansive library stored on your laptop?
For some flash based games you can download the .swf file to your laptop for offline playing using the Firefox Unplug addon . If you are looking for some of the flash games we have featured on the site over the years, check out the list of Friday fun articles we have posted.
For some people work doesn’t stop when you are on vacation. However transitioning all of your work to Google docs doesn’t seem like that great of an idea if you won’t be online for an extended period of time. Here are some tips to make those cloud apps work locally so you can use them offline.
- How To Export Documents from Google Docs to Your Computer
- Edit Office Web Apps Documents Offline On Your Desktop
- Use Evernote Offline on Your iPhone or iPod Touch for Free
- How to Download Google Maps for Offline Use
There are also plenty of options available to building a wiki and taking it with you on the go.
- Build Your Own Personal Wiki Accessible from Any PC
- DokuWiki on a stick
- Run MediaWiki from a USB drive
With all of these options available your only enemy will be the batteries that give life to your electronics, and maybe your drunk uncle but we can’t help you with that.